Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nVidia & Driver Issues
Exclamation 
Hey all..

I have been made aware that many of you out there with nVidia GPUs are having issues with nVidia. Below are potential fixes. Just keep in mind that not all have same cards, everything works fine for me, on all 5 of my Desktops. I have had no issues besides the usual Steam / nVidia related ones which am sure are easily fixable. Also I do not own any Laptops or systems with Hybrid setups to test on, you will be the one to do that. So try below fixes out and see which one gets you up and running, then let us know on social which fixed your issues.

[Image: YTKAZ5Y.jpg]

>>> OBS users, Use the Flatpak version for better Support <<<

~~~ Important Note ~~~

Quote:nVidia issues are unrelated to Xero as I provide all the combos imaginable. Blame them for all the issues. And no not come to me saying, "But on X or Y Distro I had no issues" coz that says nothing to me. They might be using custom "Patched" drivers they made themselves, which I cannot do as I am no driver developer.. I do not and cannot know. All I know is that I have provided all the necessary packages...

Legacy driver package has to be built provided by Frogging-Family on Github.. We now have more driver versions, making it all the more confusing for the end-user.. Oh well, best way to avoid all this, is to switch to AMD, I guess.. At least they show some love to Linux...

==> Black Screen after install Single GPU..

In case you run into this issue while being on a single GPU system, there are two things you can try, first one does not require a fresh install, just one command and a reboot...

- Install & use LTS Kernel :

For legacy drivers to work you will need to install & use the LTS Kernel via sudo pacman -Syy linux-lts linux-lts-headers.. You won't be able to benefit from newer Kernels. It is what it is...

- Replace SDDM with LightDM :

If that doesn't work, and still stuck on Black Screen, press Ctrl+Alt+F3 to get into what is called the TTY, login with your created credentials, and type tolightdm then sudo reboot, this will replace SDDM with LightDM which, in theory should fix your issues right up.

- Try Different nVidia Drivers :

In case you own a recent nVidia GPU like from 900 Series up to the 40 Series and are still having the Black Screen issue and the above method did not work. Keep in mind that this will require many install attempts, so only do this if you have enough patience and time to do so..

As mentioned above, this will only work if you have 900 series and newer cards, all the way up to 40 Series. Now that we clear on that, install using the "Recommended" drivers for your card.

==> Black Screen after install Hybrid Setup..

In case you run into this issue while being on a Dual GPU system (Intel/nVidia), there are two things you can try, both require multiple reinstalls...

- Install With Optimus Manager :

First one being, to try install with Optimus Manager but without nVidia-Prime, so uncheck it and try without it, might work, I do not know as I do not own any systems with Hybrid setup..

For Optimus switching to work do following :

For the SDDM display manager (SDDM is the default DM for KDE):
/usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup
--------------------------------
xrandr --setprovideroutputsource modesetting NVIDIA-0
xrandr --auto

Then to switch use Optimus-qt.... Thanks to Snack Ops Unit user on Discord for tip... For more info, visit the page on ArchWiki Wink

- Install Without Optimus Manager :

Second method being, to try install without Optimus Manager at all, so uncheck it and try without it, might work, just know that this method you won't be able to switch to Intel iGPU for power saving. As you need Optimus Manager for that. I do not know why it's broke, but all I can say is, report it to the Developer of the app not me..

- Install EnvyControl instead of Optimus Manager :

For "some" Hybrid setups, Optimus Manager might fail to start, as I have recently learned while troubleshooting with a friend, in that case there is one last tool that has proven to work. Although it's mostly a T.U.I not a G.U.I based one, it's still rather easy to use, it's called EnvyControl... Below are the instructions on how to use it.

Below are the various commands that are used to switch. Also video above should help you better understand how the tool works. In my opinion Optimus Manager as good as it is has issues still, and needs more work to be called stable.. I could be wrong though... 

- Install it via :
pamac install envycontrol

- Set current graphics mode to integrated (power off the Nvidia dGPU) :
sudo envycontrol -s integrated

- Set current graphics mode to nvidia :
sudo envycontrol -s nvidia

- Set current graphics mode to nvidia and setup SDDM display manager :
sudo envycontrol -s nvidia --dm sddm

- Query the current graphics mode :
envycontrol --query

That's about it ! For more info & F.A.Q check out Project Github Wink

Quote:Note : If all fails, there are two other last resort methods you can try, which are as follows,

- Boot into installer via first option (free), then do NOT install any nVidia drivers, see if that works.
- Select the 2nd boot option (nomodeset), then try installing one of available nVidia drivers for your card.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If none of the above fix your issue, well then at this point I do not know what to say, I just supply what I find, as I do not, and cannot own all hardware in the world, I cannot test and come up with all the possible fixes. So try until you get it right or, better yet, do your research, and if you find a fix not mentioned here that worked for you please do share.

That being said, best of luck  Heart
~ XeroLinux Maintainer ~
I do try to help where I can, when I can.
I do this on my own, so I might not have all the answers.
[Image: K7U76Mv.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Issues Updating ? DarkXero 5 5,203 01-18-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: DarkXero
Question Common ArchLinux Issues hxz 0 3,572 11-23-2021, 11:09 PM
Last Post: hxz