Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installing KVM & VMWare
Hey y'all...

In this post I will be showing you the simplest way to install either KVM/QEMU or VMWare Workstation on XeroLinux. This only applies to this distro as I have made custom packages for both making things so simple.. Therefore not applicable anywhere else, for that you will have to use power of Google or DuckDuckGo or ArchWiki...

Let's begin...

- KVM/QEMU/Virt-Manager :

That's the best Virtualization manager on Linux as it's built around the Kernel.. It is the recommended choice whoever you ask.. It's fast and smooth.. Supports Wayland in guest OS and you can do so much it's very flexible..

[Image: exMgbbz.jpeg]

To install it on XeroLinux, it's super simple, just run these commands in Terminal, and you good to go. Again this is not intended for other distros.. So do not even attempt it, it will fail..

Install Virt-Manager and all Dependencies : (Only avialable via XeroLinux Repo)
sudo pacman -S virt-manager-meta && reboot

Activate Networking & set to always start :
sudo virsh net-start default && sudo virsh net-autostart default

Go to this thread where I posted a video by DT about the various Virt-Manager tip & tricks...

That's it !!! So simple my Grandma can do it in her sleep Wink

- VMWare-Workstation :

Now, before you come at me with pitchforks, saying this proprietary software and shouldn't be used on Linux, let me be clear, some users new to Linux, come from Windows on which that is what they are used to, so am doing this for them.. If you don't like it, use what feel is better...

[Image: 4WUEt6Y.jpeg]

With that said, on with the guide right ? This one is just as simple as above just has few more services to enable. Other than that, you should be good to go in a matter of minutes.. I hope...

Install VMWare-Workstation and all Dependencies :
paru -S --noconfirm vmware-workstation vmware-unlocker-bin vmware-keymaps

Activate Networking & other services :
sudo modprobe -a vmw_vmci vmmon
sudo systemctl enable --now vmware-networks.service
sudo systemctl enable --now vmware-usbarbitrator.service

Finally there's the matter of the Linux Guest OS, to set the correct resolution, it has to come with certain packages but in any case I will show you how to install them and enable..

To enable the service just run :
sudo systemctl enable --now vmtoolsd

If resolution does not get fixed and you are stuck at low, then you might need to install the necessary packages... Below is what you need for the various Distros out there... Reboot then run the above command...

- Arch Based Distros
sudo pacman -S xf86-video-vmware open-vm-tools

- Debian Guests : (might need extra repos to be enabled)
sudo apt install xf86-video-vmware open-vm-tools

- Fedora Guests : (might need extra repos to be enabled)
sudo dnf install xf86-video-vmware open-vm-tools

Done be done !!! That's all she wrote folks !!! Enjoy Wink
~ XeroLinux Toolkit Maintainer ~
I do try to help where I can, when I can.
I do this on my own, so I might not have all the answers.
[Image: K7U76Mv.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Installing ArchLinux on USB DarkXero 0 486 01-16-2023, 03:06 PM
Last Post: DarkXero
Video [Video] Installing ArchLinux the Arch Way DarkXero 0 1,296 12-04-2021, 08:24 PM
Last Post: DarkXero