Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New install - can't update mirror list

Hi. I'm trying out Xero for the first time and the post-install system update failed due to lack of servers configured. Updating mirrors gives me the following:

# STARTED AT: 2023-11-17 21:39:57.170249596 +00:00
# ARGS: rate-mirrors arch
# FETCHED MIRRORS: 1136
# MIRRORS LEFT AFTER FILTERING: 476
# JUMP #1
# EXPLORING US
# VISITED US
#     + NEIGHBOR ID (by HubsFirst)
#     + NEIGHBOR UK (by HubsFirst)
#     + NEIGHBOR FR (by HubsFirst)
#     + NEIGHBOR DE (by DistanceFirst)
#     + NEIGHBOR CA (by DistanceFirst)
#     + NEIGHBOR NL (by DistanceFirst)
# BLANK ITERATION
# COUNTRY JUMPING YIELDED TOO FEW MIRRORS (0), ADDING OTHERS TO UNLABELED
#  

# TESTING UNLABELED MIRRORS
#  

# NO RESULTS TO RE-TEST
# ==== RESULTS (top re-tested) ====
# FINISHED AT: 2023-11-17 21:40:08.821138582 +00:00

My networking is all fine and I have a fast connection to the internet. Any reason Xero can't update the repo mirrors?

Actually, I just realised I was using quite an old ISO so I will grab the latest and try installing again.

The latest ISO should actually have fixed the problem....LOL....I speak from experience..LOL

If it still doesn't work for some inexplicable reason. Make a backup copy of the mirrorlist and save it somewhere else. delete the actual mirrorlist. then create new file named mirrorlist and manually add some mirrors of your choice.

https://archlinux.org/mirrorlist/

Adding the mirrors to the alter mirrorlist didn't work. I had to recreate the file and add the mirror, after that it worked for me.
Nothing guaranteed, I'm still kind of a newbie myself.

(11-18-2023, 03:26 AM)Steffie_App_addicted Wrote:  The latest ISO should actually have fixed the problem....LOL....I speak from experience..LOL

If it still doesn't work for some inexplicable reason. Make a backup copy of the mirrorlist and save it somewhere else. delete the actual mirrorlist. then create new file named mirrorlist and manually add some mirrors of your choice.

https://archlinux.org/mirrorlist/

Adding the mirrors to the alter mirrorlist didn't work. I had to recreate the file and add the mirror, after that it worked for me.
Nothing guaranteed, I'm still kind of a newbie myself.

First, I've been using Xerolinux for a few years. I have little expertise in Arch but I think Steve is a great guy and Xerolinux looks and runs great on my laptop.

However, I had this problem a few weeks ago, downloaded the latest ISO and did a fresh installation. Today, I have the same issue recurring and am not sure what to do.
I am a bit stumped as to how to move forward myself. If anyone has a concrete answer, I would appreciate the help.

Vince

I'm not much help, sorry.
As I said, I'm still a newbie when it comes to Linux. I only started using Linux less than a year ago and only switched to Xerolinux about 4-5 weeks ago. I saw Xerolinus and immediately fell in love.

I only posted the mirrorlist thing because it was the way that worked for me.

Quote:However, I had this problem a few weeks ago, downloaded the latest ISO and did a fresh installation. Today, I have the same issue recurring and am not sure what to do.
I am a bit stumped as to how to move forward myself. If anyone has a concrete answer, I would appreciate the help.

Vince

I am so sorry you are having this issue, but since I do not control XeroLinux mirrors or Arch ones for that matter I wouldn't know where to begin. Our mirrors are just fine I test them on a daily basis. As for Arch mirrors there's a button in our tool to update them that's all I can do from my end. It could be anything, like maybe your ISP blocking them, or VPN if you are using one, or Firewall etc..

I even talked to my mirror admins maybe your IP was mistakenly blocked, which isn't the case, plus it's unlikely that all 3 of my mirrors from 3 corners of the world to block your IP at the same time.. So issue is definitely on your end.. Not ours.. I would recommend you backpedal n see what you installed that might have caused the issue.

Also to test if it's something you installed or not, boot the ISO from this month, try to ping google or run an update see if that works, if it does then it's most definitely is something you installed or updated, if it doesn't then we need to look deeper into this.

~ XeroLinux Developer ~
I do try to help where I can, when I can.
I do this on my own, so I might not have all the answers.
[Image: K7U76Mv.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by DarkXero
10-30-2023, 04:44 PM
Last Post by DarkXero
10-14-2023, 02:12 AM
Last Post by TeddyBearKilla
04-11-2023, 10:01 PM