Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Important Announcement !! Please Read !
Hey everyone,

After some deep discussions within my circle of friends and the Linux community, we've reached an important decision regarding XeroLinux:

It's time for a change. XeroLinux will be winding down its current existence as a Distro. If you're using it, please prepare to transition to another one. I'll start removing repos and packages, so it's essential to shift before errors start popping up. Deadline February 29th. But hold on for a moment...

The project isn't fading away. Quite the opposite! I've got an exciting plan brewing that will simplify our lives tremendously. However, it's worth noting that the circumstances in my country make it increasingly challenging to continue maintaining the Distro. But trust me, what's coming up is worth sticking around for.

Here's the deal: instead of confining ourselves to KDE Plasma, I've decided to transform the entire Distro into a comprehensive post-installation tool I call Xero Arch Post-Install Toolkit or XLAPiT for short. It'll encapsulate everything that made XeroLinux fantastic and then some!

This shift will grant us all more freedom. You'll have the choice to install your preferred DE or WM, while the post-install process—covering drivers, customizations, software installations, and more—will be a far smoother experience. I'll be continuously adding more features as I learn and grow. Managing this tool will be easier for me, and it'll open doors to incorporate even more functionality down the line.

Personally, I value functionality over form, so initially, the tool might seem simple. However, underneath that simplicity are scripts that'll make setting up your Arch Install hassle-free.

I'll keep everyone updated on the progress here and Fosstodon. As for support, I'll be primarily available here, moving away from Discord, at least for now. Who knows? I might revive it later on. Never say never, right?

I hope this shift won't deter your support. I'm working for the entire Linux community, striving to give back because, without Linux and all of you, I'd have been stuck on that thing called Windows...

Thank you for reading and sticking around. For more info check that thread.

Catch you on the flip side!
~ XeroLinux Maintainer ~
I do try to help where I can, when I can.
I do this on my own, so I might not have all the answers.
[Image: K7U76Mv.png]
will there be a migration guide for current xero users? like from pure Arch to using xero tool and migrate whole disk is it posisble?

or i should nuke my os before moving to the new one before using the tool.
Hello..

Did you even read ? There will be no new one.. It will become a tool.. Not a Distro.. More freedom. So up to you what Distro you move to. I would recommend Pure Arch with whatever DE/WM you want if you are to benefit from upcoming Toolkit..

Backup your stuff and move ...
~ XeroLinux Maintainer ~
That's big news, I'm looking forward how this tool will be received by the community since everybody already on Arch can have a look at it and provide feedback.

Running Vanilla Arch and having something for easy maintenance is probably the right move if I want to stick with the Xero experience.
Those who don't have the patience nor the skills to reinstall the OS via pure Arch right now might be doing a switch to EndeavorOS for fast GUI install.

On the daily use not much will change for us after the switch I expect, the bugs who should show up in the Spring season (with plasma 6) will affect the parent repos anyway..

Arch is like a supersonic aircraft, blazing fast and do very advanced stuff but if it take a hit you better be prepared for ejection.
Oooops,
It's the wrong timing for me, My ssd crashed after bkp Wink. I want to dl the last iso and surprise.
Than, I'll try pure arch and expect the tool.
I hope the situation in your country goes best but, unfortunatly I am sure it takes long time.
Thanks for your wonderful job and i which you the best
Kindly yours
(01-09-2024, 10:48 PM)DarkXero Wrote: -snip-
Thank you for your time and effort maintaining this distro. Looking forward to seeing where this new path leads.

(01-11-2024, 02:46 AM)Mameng Wrote: will there be a migration guide for current xero users?

or i should nuke my os before moving to the new one

There was another post yesterday which essentially lands you on default arch repositories:
https://forum.xerolinux.xyz/thread-360-p...tml#pid920

If you do that, then clean up any xerolinux specific packages you should be good for a while at least before you are forced to do anything.
Personally I followed the thread I linked, then removed all packages from the old repositories, then reinstalled all remaining packages. Might have been overkill - but they are now all guaranteed from arch repositores.
Any idea how to remove my forum account? I can't seem to find any way to do it.

Distro was awesome. Look forward to the future!
You do not need to remove account..

In case you missed all the memos project is not dead it's just shifting to a Post-Install toolkit for Vanilla Arch.. And support for that will only take place on here not Discord as that will go soon too..
~ XeroLinux Maintainer ~
(01-18-2024, 02:09 PM)DarkXero Wrote: You do not need to remove account..

In case you missed all the memos project is not dead it's just shifting to a Post-Install toolkit for Vanilla Arch.. And support for that will only take place on here not Discord as that will go soon too..

Will it also be able to use on Manjaro Linux?
At your own risk. It's mainly for Arch keep in mind Manjaro is not Arch so might encounter issues. Already mentioned that.

Read here
https://forum.xerolinux.xyz/thread-356.html
~ XeroLinux Maintainer ~