Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

XeroLinux System Configuration Tool
Exclamation 

Hey Linux Nerds...

In this thread I will going over my XeroTool in detail. Time has come to explain what that thing does exactly. I will be explaining each option. Going from left to right, top to bottom..

If you have disabled it from AutoStart, we have added a quick access icon to launch it in the system tray. Look at the screenshot below to see where.. Just click on the icon and tool will lauch right away Wink

[Image: MqhXvOQ.png]

Without any delay let's gooooo...

[Image: 0se1jSH.png]

This tool is, in my opinion a great way to get up and running quick and is very user friendly. It's written in YAD (Yet Another Dialog) which is included by default with almost every distro out there.

Now the options...

=> Update System Now : Since we opted to disable updating during Install, it's recommended to run this as soon as you login after OS Installation.. This will update system to latest.. Especially when you installed Distro months after grabbing the ISO...

[Image: xOIyrzX.png]

=> XeroLinux Rices : Following up on requests to include a way to apply my various rices via the tool, this option was born.. First button opens up default browser with a preview of all rices..

Second one will run the script, listing the various options..

[Image: 960sDUM.png]

Kindly read the BIG warning in Blue, I will not be held liable in case you mess up your system.. Just note that it's preferable that you apply the rice you like immediately after installing the Distro so as to not lose any settings...

=> XeroLinux App Installer : Well, since the package selection was removed from Calamares, it's now a separate app part of the new tool.. Labeled PiAi or Post Install Application Installer.. The tool was entirely developed by Vladislav Nepogodin who is a very good friend of the project... 

[Image: B7DVo44.png]

This will help you get started.. The list was curated by myself and other members of the XeroLinux Servers.. If you need more, use the included GUI Pamac (Shield icon in tray)...

[Image: WvMgOOE.jpg]

Quote:Note : Just be warned that this tool is currently still Work In Progress, there might be some bugs . Kindly report them and we shall try our best to squash them...

=> Various System Configs : This section will help you configure your system the way you like, somewhat.. It has many options that I will be explaining below...

[Image: 8cItrf8.png]

=> Shell Configuration : Well, I wrote that script as an answer to a request on social. Clicking this will offer you the option to switch from Bash to ZSH and vice versa.

[Image: neNKepV.png]

Not only will you get ZSH, but you will get all my aliases from .bashrc added to .zshrc.. As well as the following plugins : oh-my-zsh / zsh-completions / zsh-autosuggestions / zsh-syntax-highlighting and the powerlevel10k theme.. all installed from source, no AUR, no Repo, directly from the dev's git... Best part is, that it will stay up to date without you having to do anything.. Neat eh ?

=> Update .bashrc/.zshrc : This will grab latest configs for either BASH or ZSH if any.. I update them with latest Aliases that will make your life much easier.. If you care...

=> Install/Configure Samba : Nothing special here, just a semi-unattended script that will install & configure SAMBA for you in case you share files between systems.. Like Windows...

=> Initialize Snapper (BTRFS) : In case you opted for BTRFS and installed Snapper via the Installer, you will have to click this button in order for the BTRFS-Assistant tool to work...

=> Install/Enable Firewall : This will install and enable Plasma-Firewall for you. I did not include on ISO simply because I hate firewalls.. I am weird like that LoL...

=> Install/Enable HBlock : This will install and enable HBlock, the system wide Ad-Blocker tool for you from the AUR.

=> Fix Common Issues : Use this section to apply some of the various fixes that were included on the ISOs from May onwards, in case you prefer not to do a fresh install. Now note the asterisk (*), those that have it were already applied, so you do not need to apply them again.

[Image: JyrR44B.png]

=> Get New Mirrorlist : This will grab and apply latest mirrorlist updating the XeroLinux mirrors to latest, if and when I find more mirrors to host repos, making it faster for y'all Wink

=> Long Shutdown Fix : This will fix the issue with Shutdowns and reboots taking a while. (Already applied on latest ISO).

=> Dolphin Open As Root : This will remove the old method of opening folders as root via Thunar, and replace it with the semi-"Official" method. (Already applied on latest ISO).

=> Apply Pamac GUI Fix : Only use on older install of Xero, as it will remove Pamac-All the user made fork of Pamac, and replace it with the "Official" version built from source with AUR and Flatpak support.

=> Apply Arch GPG Keys Fix : This will install and update the Arch-Keyring in case you are running into the invalid key issue during update...

=> Enable Wayland Session : This will install and enable Wayland for you. I did not include on ISO simply because I find that it's not yet ready especially for nVidia users.. You can now add it should you own an AMD/ATI GPU and want to test it out.. NO SUPPORT will be provided...

That's it y'all ..Hope you find this tool useful Wink

~ XeroLinux Developer ~
I do try to help where I can, when I can.
I do this on my own, so I might not have all the answers.
~ My PC build @ a glimpse ~
| ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q Monitor |
| AsRock x570 Tai Chi | AMD Ryzen 5 3600x @ 3.8Ghz |
| ROG STRiX GTX 1080 8Gb GDDR5X | TeamGroup Delta “R” 32GB DDR4 @3000Mhz RGB |

Hey, my sysconfig seems to be outdated (see attached image). I would like to have the btrfs backup tools, is there a repo/command I can use to use a newer version?
Many thanks.

(04-07-2022, 05:46 PM)StripedLiger Wrote:  Hey, my sysconfig seems to be outdated (see attached image). I would like to have the btrfs backup tools, is there a repo/command I can use to use a newer version?
Many thanks.

After reading more of the forums, I've found that it requires a fresh XL install Tongue

Not yet all that coming in May (not June) with new release ... Tool is not outdated it's just receiving a major overhaul till then.. I will make video explaining new one....

~ XeroLinux Developer ~

Thanks for this. FYI, clicking on Install KVM/Qemu brought me to this forums page. Wink

(04-28-2022, 07:12 AM)jdhchang Wrote:  Thanks for this. FYI, clicking on Install KVM/Qemu brought me to this forums page. Wink

Fixed Wink

~ XeroLinux Developer ~

Tool updated and OP updated Wink

~ XeroLinux Developer ~

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by DarkXero
11-23-2021, 02:54 PM