Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to install and use yay/paru AUR helpers for Arch Linux
Hey all...

I am writing this guide, which I will later turn to a video, to show you the best way to Install YaY or Paru which are the best way to install user maintained packages from the AUR (Arch User Repository). Yep coz not everyone knows how to do it. Yeah most custom Arch-Based distros come with either one included which IMO teaches you nothing if you are new, and I think you should..

[Image: l2MiVr0.jpeg]

Anyway here's how to proceed for YaY...

- Installation :
cd ~ && git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/yay-bin.git
cd ~/yay-bin/ && makepkg -rsi --noconfirm
cd ~ && rm -Rf ~/yay-bin/

- Configuration :
yay -Y --devel --save && yay -Y --gendb
sed -i 's/"sudoloop": false/"sudoloop": true/' ~/.config/yay/config.json; 

Anyway here's how to proceed for Paru...

- Installation :
cd ~ && git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/paru-bin.git
cd ~/paru-bin/ && makepkg -rsi --noconfirm
cd ~ && rm -Rf ~/paru-bin/

- Configuration :
sudo sed -i -e 's/^#BottomUp/BottomUp/' -e 's/^#SudoLoop/SudoLoop/' -e 's/^#CombinedUpgrade/CombinedUpgrade/' -e 's/^#UpgradeMenu/UpgradeMenu/' -e 's/^#NewsOnUpgrade/NewsOnUpgrade/' /etc/paru.conf
echo "SkipReview" | sudo tee -a /etc/paru.conf > /dev/null
paru --gendb;

Once that is done, you can use it to start installing packages from the AUR. Keep in mind that you do not need to install both just select the one you prefer, either one works.. I would recommend YaY myself though..

Enjoy Wink
~ XeroLinux Toolkit Maintainer ~
I do try to help where I can, when I can.
I do this on my own, so I might not have all the answers.
[Image: K7U76Mv.png]
I installed both paru and YaY with the Xero tool and it picked up the last one whne I launched it (YaY)
Is there a way to make the tool select the other one without uninstalling the one it detects?
Unfortunately not. It's a CLI not much we can do there.. Just remove the one you dislike with pacman -R
~ XeroLinux Toolkit Maintainer ~
I do try to help where I can, when I can.
I do this on my own, so I might not have all the answers.
[Image: K7U76Mv.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video How to install Vanilla Arch with ArchInstall (Jan 2024) DarkXero 4 1,057 02-26-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: DarkXero
  Archfi Install Script + Hyprland Setup Tutorial (sept 2023) ATH-Linux 0 437 02-15-2024, 01:08 AM
Last Post: ATH-Linux
Information How-To install GPU Drivers for best experience DarkXero 0 2,267 01-20-2024, 03:09 PM
  How-To install & run WayDroid on Linux (Wayland) DarkXero 0 2,252 10-19-2023, 02:03 PM
  Enable Snap support on Arch (Not recommended) DarkXero 0 535 08-21-2023, 12:47 PM
  Chrooting to rescue your Linux System DarkXero 0 1,268 08-25-2022, 04:21 PM
Video vmlinuz-linux not found issue ? How to fix DarkXero 0 2,494 03-29-2022, 11:43 AM
Video Self host your Arch Repository locally DarkXero 0 1,228 03-09-2022, 01:25 PM
Information Convert Virtualbox VMs on KVM In Linux DarkXero 0 1,126 12-28-2021, 12:40 AM
Video [Video] Installing ArchLinux the Arch Way DarkXero 0 1,371 12-04-2021, 08:24 PM