Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to install Vanilla Arch with ArchInstall (Jan 2024)
Video 
Hey all..

It has come to my attention that some of you out there still have no idea how to install Vanilla Arch with the ArchInstall script although guides exist all over the net.. With that, I will embed 2 videos here that show you how to do that, one for plain another for Dual boot with Windows..

.:: Simple Install ::.

.:: Dual-Boot Install ::.

~ XeroLinux Toolkit Maintainer ~
I do try to help where I can, when I can.
I do this on my own, so I might not have all the answers.
[Image: K7U76Mv.png]
The method worked for the x220 laptop having 1 dedicated drive for installation, but I need to clarify that the method shown in the 1st video don't suit the case of dual booting with other GNU OSes. The arch wiki specify that the mounting point in case of uefi system are different from the one show by Erick since the archinstall script don't show how it handles partitions if you let the automatic settings do the arrangements.

/mnt (for root)
/mnt/efi or mnt/boot (for boot depending on usecases)

On debian12 the assigned mount points shown by gparted are as follow :
/ (for root)
/boot/efi (for boot and unlike /mnt the files show up there) ,

So they is differences from what is proposed in the wiki.

Mistakes in directing properly the mount points during arch install results in grub not showing up. Wiping or reformatting the efi partition is not recommended nor it was the method the Xerolinux used in Calamares install, I wonder how it handled this because we could have 2 grub versions each one with its settings.
That's exactly why I included 2nd video. All I know is that Calamares did the normal Grub install
grub-install --removable --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --disable-shim-lock

That's it ! I have no clue what ArchInstall does exactly that's why I recommend against it. Better use the ArchWiki instead. That too isn't always specific. They do not mention dual boot clearly enough. They can't take every scenario into account. Too many variances.
I understand the problem to make a detailled dualboot section on the arch wiki, keeping this section up-to-date can be tedious with the unexpected changes. However dual booting with Debian should not be that hard to pull if Calamares included in many arch spins do it with no problem.

So this is How I did it :

Debian12 + Arch Dual boot installation UEFI x64 method (feb 2024)

Note: Before beginning grab the last iso of Arch, Debian and an Arch-based distro with GUI for easy CHROOT.
With Ventoy I have all of them in one USB stick.

[ STAGE1: Install Debian first ] 
It's more update-proof so it can serve as your backup OS

1. Begging your installation with the method provided in this video : Debian12 Minimal With KDE as general guidelines. (I skipped timeshift)
    In the partitioning make sure to leave some empty space in the drives for Arch.
  2. Assuming you have GRUB for boot, NOTE THE MOUNTING POINT FOR THE EFI PARTITION (mine was "/boot/efi" since I'm on a UEFI hardware)
  3. In Debian use G-Parted to format the remaining space (I did ext4) for your incoming Arch Root.
    Before proceeding with G-Parted make sure to BACKUP Personal Files OUT OF THE DRIVE that will receive the installation +  NOTE Partition NUMBERS + SIZES of the ONES YOU DON'T WANT TO TOUCH 
    (ex: sdb1/sdb2 /sdc1 / nvme0p1 if they contains your other OS and files..)
    During the partitions steps of the installation ensure it won't pick them by mistake (don't trust auto-partitioning options).

[ STAGE2: With Debian ready, begin the vanilla Arch install ]

1. Using all the info above I go with the Archscript install
    (I followed Erick video but I learned the correct 'mounting point' are not the same in my case, thankfully the script allows for manual assignments of mounting points.)
    I have some exp with manual installs and wanted to learn the script this time.
  2. Your available disk space previously formatted (ext4) can be assigned the root mountpoint " / " and the efi partition mount-point  "/boot/efi" the same debian use
    .. use your notes to make sure you select the correct drives/partitions before confirming to avoid data loss ..
  3.  Your Debian12 install might come with swap, for simplicity sake I disabled it for my Arch scripted install but I suspect that you could use the same 'debian' swap since 1 OS run at a time.  .. Keep swap if you think you might run out of RAM ..
  4. If you're using the script make sure each step has your preferences set properly before launching it.
    (I forgot to change my default keyboard layout and now it mess with my password typo before login..)
  5. Ensure the Ethernet cable is working and run the install. ..With the script you'll notice that the os-prober step is not applied and will need an extra step to fix via CHROOT using the arch-based iso.
    (( At this point If your script install send breaking errors you can just return to the Debian session by selecting the debian grub in bios, reboot to it, wipe the ext4 partition and retry the Arch install more slowly.
    The learning gains occur here, It is worth noticing some of the terminal outputs ))
  6.  Boot in the ARCH-BASED live iso, apply the CHROOT Grub Fix, notice also the DebianOS option now available.
  7. Arch's GRUB fixed you can also boot into Debian OS and update its Debian's Grub to bring the Arch option.
  8. Test the Grub entries by entering your bios or using your booting-menu shortcut (mine's F12 and it can access the UEFI)
  9. You can then finish Arch's install with the Xero Tool from there, apply your rice etc.. same for Debian.
Enjoy the dual booting.    Cool
Thanks for the guide bud, hope this helps anyone with similar issue.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to install and use yay/paru AUR helpers for Arch Linux DarkXero 2 1,103 02-15-2024, 01:16 PM
Last Post: DarkXero
  Archfi Install Script + Hyprland Setup Tutorial (sept 2023) ATH-Linux 0 362 02-15-2024, 01:08 AM
Last Post: ATH-Linux
Information How-To install GPU Drivers for best experience DarkXero 0 2,057 01-20-2024, 03:09 PM
  How-To install & run WayDroid on Linux (Wayland) DarkXero 0 2,122 10-19-2023, 02:03 PM
  Enable Snap support on Arch (Not recommended) DarkXero 0 506 08-21-2023, 12:47 PM
Video Self host your Arch Repository locally DarkXero 0 1,172 03-09-2022, 01:25 PM
Video [Video] Installing ArchLinux the Arch Way DarkXero 0 1,325 12-04-2021, 08:24 PM
Information How To Downgrade A Package In Arch Linux DarkXero 0 2,799 11-24-2021, 01:54 PM
Video [Video] Getting Started with creating your own Arch/Arco Spin-Off DarkXero 0 1,270 11-23-2021, 10:37 PM
Information How-To Install Microsoft Surface Kernel DarkXero 0 1,847 11-23-2021, 05:39 PM